Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Monday, January 28, 2008
Monday, January 14, 2008
Monday, January 7, 2008
Get a Voki now!
Welcome back CyberKids. As is traditional at the beginning of each new year, let's make New Year's Resolutions to include in our blog.
I'm a little disappointed that our CyberKids blog is looking very
unattended :-( We haven't been finishing projects and don't have a lot of new material on our blog. Let's make a resolution that in 2008 we will have lots of new material to share with everyone in cyberspace.
Let's each make 3 resolutions for 2008.
1) Using PowerPoint - list your 3 resolutions for 2008
2) Include or create an image for 2008 (http://www.glassgiant.com - you can create a neon sign - really cool!)
3) Include your name
4) Let's save your work to my pen drive to upload on our blog
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
To make sure Santa Clause can make all his rounds on the 24th, let's offer him some advice and/or directions.
Let's go CyberKids, now it's your turn.
1) Go to this site: http://www.streetsigngenerator.com/
2) Choose a street sign
3) Type in your message ( remember you are limited to 21 characters and spaces)
4) Choose a suffix
5) Click on GENERATE STREET SIGN
Tuesday, November 27, 2007
Today we are going to produce an image with a "catch-phrase or keyword". This image will then be uploaded onto your blog. The keyword should be associated with the theme of your blog.
1) Think of a "catch-phrase" or "keyword" which can be associated with your blog.
2) Go to this site: http://www.glassgiant.com/custom_keyboard/.
3) Type the word(s) and produce the image.
Monday, November 19, 2007
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Cyber Kids! Hooray! Each of you now have a blog of your own. Fantastic!
But now is the time to think about what you are going to include on it and how can you really use all the features that Blogger.com has to offer?
Check out Rory's blog for ideas - it is first rate:-)
His blog is located here: http://irelandforkids.blogspot.com/
The first thing that we are going to add to our blogs is a virtual pet! It will be a great addition/friend to your blog.
To adopt a pet follow these instructions:
-Go to http://bunnyherolabs.com/
-Click on the words Cyber Pets and follow the steps.
-Step 1) Choose a pet
-Step 2) Give your pet a name, Type your name, Choose a color for your pet:-)
-Step 3) Copy the code
-Click on Template in your blog
-Click on Add a Page Element and a box will open
-After the box opens PASTE the code into the box
-Click on Save Changes
Now open the blog in a new window and admire your work!
You are done! You did it! You have added a cyber pet to your site. Don't forget to feed it (hahahaha).
Monday, November 5, 2007
The time for each of us to join the millions of people in cyberspace and create his/her own blog has arrived (hooray). But what is a blog and why should you create one? Let's discuss that first. Blogging is a great way to explore a topic or interest and share it with others. In doing this you will using English as your communication tool so you will be practicing reading and writing in English without even knowing it:-)
In order to create a blog you need an email address. We will use Blogger (www.blogger.com) as our blog provider.
*Remember, it's really important to keep a record of your email address, your password for your email address, your blog username, and your password. Write this information in your diary so you won't forget it.
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
I will collect your limericks and upload them to our blog;-)
Our activity for this afternoon is a bit different. Last week we visited sites that focused on the Age of Discovery and that got me thinking. . . Let’s use our imaginations and think of a time period (other than the current era) which you would like to visit if you had a time machine. Write a small paragraph explaining WHY you have chosen this time period. Collect some images from the internet to include. Let’s see what you come up with!!!!!
Monday, October 8, 2007
- Columbus Day Word Puzzle - http://everythingesl.net/downloads/columbusday_puzzle.pdf
- Explorer's Routes - http://www.teachervision.fen.com/tv/printables/botr/botr_009_23-24.pdf
- The Story of Columbus Day and Activities - http://www.teachervision.fen.com/tv/printables/botr/botr_009_8-10.pdf
- Why Explorers Explored - http://library.thinkquest.org/J002678F/why.htm
- Make a timeline - http://abcteach.com/MonthtoMonth/October/timeline.htm
- Word Search - http://www.thepotters.com/puzzles/kids/columbus.html
- Paralaugh - Fill in the blanks and create a story - http://www.mrnussbaum.com/libs.htm
- The History Channel - http://www.history.com/minisite.do?content_type=mini_home&mini_id=1044
Check out this site for some cool games - Merchants of the Great Exchange and Whose Lunch Is It Anyway?
We will write poems - Limerick
A limerick has 5 lines.
The last words of lines one, two, and five rhyme.
The last words of lines three and four rhyme.
A limerick has to have a pattern of stressed and unstressed syllables.
An example is:
There was an old man from Peru
Who dreamed he was eating his shoe
He awoke in the night
With a terrible fright
To discover it was totally true
Limericks online - http://www.gigglepoetry.com/poetryclass/limerickcontesthelp.html
Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Monday, October 1, 2007
Our first task is designed to get each one of us thinking about what we would like to accomplish this year in CyberKids. What goals do you hav for your learning? What would you like to learn in regards to English? Are there any computer skills that you need to know?
- Go to this web address: http://www.glassgiant.com/back_to_school
- Write your message (goal that you wish to accomplish in CyberKids)
- Choose "Chalkboard Type"
- Click on "Show Message"
- Right click on"Save As"
- We will save the text to my pen drive and I will upload it to our blog.
It was that easy:-)
Monday, July 2, 2007
We've come to the end of Term 3 and everyone is ready for a little down time. We've had a great term and we've learned a lot. I'm glad that you decided to spend an afternoon a week connecting language and computers (it's sooo much fun).
Have an enjoyable summer and I hope you join me for CyberKids 2 in the fall.
Beijinhos until then,
Wednesday, June 27, 2007
1) meet friends, 2) it's cool, 3) it rocks!
1) lots of games, 2) meet my friends there, 3) even if you don't have a paid membership, there is lots to do!
1) it's fun, 2) meet cyber-friends, 3) it's kid-friendly
1) it's fun, 2) meet new friends, 3) it's always available
1) it's adventurous, 2) it's funny, 3) penguins and puffles are cute!
1) it's good, 2) can become members and buy stuff, 3) lots of games
1) it's fun, 2) can buy things, 3) can play games
Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Wednesday, June 20, 2007
Tuesday, June 19, 2007
Tuesday, June 12, 2007
Usually it's the teacher that asks the questions and the students provide answers. Today in CyberKids we did things differently. The teacher provided the answer, and the CyberKids then wrote questions to fit the answers. As usual, the CyberKids were on top of it. Way 2 go!
Here is what we came up with!
The answer is: GREEN
Carlinhos' question is: What color are leaves?
The answer is: A NEWSPAPER
Daire's question is: What is one of the things you can get news from?
The answer is: LOTS OF KITTENS
Daniella's question is: How many kittens do you have?
The answer is: CHOCOLATE
What is your favourite ice cream?
The answer is: AT MY SCHOOL
Maria's question is: Where is CyberKids?
The answer is: 2025
Rory's question is: What year will kids fly to school on hovercrafts?
The answer is: SPORTS
Ze´s question is: What are my favourite hobbies?
Monday, June 11, 2007
A question asks for information. But questions sometimes have other uses, especially questions with modal verbs (e.g. shall, could, can, would, may, etc.)
Here are some examples:
Making a suggestion: Shall we go then?
Requesting: Could you pass the sugar, please?
Offering: Can I carry something for you?
Inviting: Would you like to come to a party?
Asking permission: May I use your phone?
There are two kinds of question.
- YES/NO Question - A yes/no question can have the answer yes or no: Are you ready? Do you have a pencil? Is it raining?
- WH Question - A wh-question begins with a question word (who, what, which, whose, where, when, why, how): What have you done? Where do you work? When did you arrive? These questions require a complete answer.
In the present simple and past simple, we use a form of do
Do the shops stay open late?
When does the coach leave?
Did you like the film?
What did Joanna buy?
A question cannot begin with an ordinary verb like stay, leave, like or buy.
The verb after the subject does not end in s or ed.
Now that you know everything there is to know about questions, let's write some.
We're going to do this a little different though. I will give each of you an answer, and you will write the question ;-) Have fun!
Tuesday, May 29, 2007
1) Blogging is a lot of fun (and educational too!) and we are watching our blog grow. If you look at some of our posts, we are getting a cyber-audience and they are beginning to leave us comments. It's really great to have others appreciate our work and these comments motivate us to continue to build our blog. As thoughtful cybernauts it is now time for us to begin to comment on blogs and offer motivation to others.. Our first endeavor will be SDIS's Wednesday afternoon activities Computer Group. They will be so surprised!
1. Go to: Computer Group.
2. Read through the posts (which include photos) and find one that you like and would like to comment on.
3. You will see something like this: Posted by evan at 8:13 AM 0 comments
Look at the "0 comments" - this means that no one has made a comment. If it says "1 comment" it means that 1 person has made a comment.
4. Click on "0 comments" (or 1 comment, 2 comments, 3 comments, etc.)
5. On the right-hand side of the screen you will see a box titled "Leave You Comment".
6. Write your comment here. (Something like: "Good Job", "Way to go", "Keep blogging" or some other appropriate comment)
7. Include your gmail address and password
Let's show our support to the Computer Group.
2) As you know St. Dominic's high school graduation ceremony was held on Sunday, May 27, 2007. Our Year 13 students have completed their secondary education and are now preparing for the next stage of their lives. They have many options to choose from including university, the military, art school, and woodworking to name just a few.
No matter what they decide to do, they will need the help and guidance of others to point them in the right direction: Let's lend a hand and offer them some advice!
1. Go to www.signgenerator.org/parody/post-it-notes/ .
2. Enter your text (advice) into the text box.
3. You can change the font and the font size if you like.
4. If the text isn't centered on the post-it note, you can adjust it.
5. Click to customize your paper note.
It's that easy. Now, it's your turn.
When you are satisfied with your final product, please see me and we can save it on my “pen drive”.
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Monday, May 21, 2007
As you may know Year 6 is having their exhibition on Wednesday, May 23 from 15:30 – 17:30. Let’s make Hollywood Signs (that will be uploaded on our blog) advertising this event! The catch is that we don’t have unlimited space available. We are limited to 22 spaces and characters. So, keep it short and sweet!
Good Luck CyberKids!
1. Go to http://glassgiant.com/ .
2. Click on Hollywood Sign (make your own Hollywood Sign!)
3. Read the information about the Hollywood Sign.
4. Write a small text advertising or encouraging people to visit the Year 6 Exhibition tomorrow (Wednesday, May 23, 2007 – from 15:30 – 17:30).
5. Size – Full Size
6. Click on "Make Sign"
When you are satisfied with your final product, please see me and we can save it on my “pen drive”.
Sunday, May 20, 2007
Saturday, May 19, 2007
Wednesday, May 16, 2007
We learned how to isolate photos and we saved them to a "pen drive".
Let's review what we did so that each of you can repeat this process (saving images/pictures) for use in the future. There will be 1 difference - instead of saving the image to a "pen drive", you will save it to your computer.
The file you will save the image to is called "My Documents".
(Each computer has a file with this name. ;-) )
To find and save an image/picture to your computer follow these steps:
- Do a google search (www.google.com). Click on images. Then type in a "keyword" of the kind of image you would like to find (example: Big Ben, calico cat, rabbit, John Cena). After that click on "Search Images".
- You will fly through cyberspace to a page (or pages) of images that you can choose from.
- Select your image and click on it.
- You will see a small image at the top of the page. To see a full size image click on it.
- Now the image is isolated (alone) and in full size. You can save this image to use in the future.
- Go to File (upper left hand corner of tool bar) and click.
- Click on "Save As".
- A box will open. It says "Save In". Along the left side of that box you will see some icons. Click on the one that says "My Documents".
- Finally, name your image (example: dog, cat, etc.) and click on "Save".
Voila! You are done! It was easy, wasn't it.
Now you try it. Let me know what happened.
Tuesday, May 8, 2007
This is a photo of a big, fat, upside-down, calico cat with green eyes! Big, fat, upside-down and calico are all adjectives because they describe the cat and green is an adjective that describes the color of the cat's eyes.
Click here for the words (lyrics) to the song from the video
We will write a 5-line poem in the following CONSTRUCTIVIST manner.
- On the first line write a noun of your choice
- On the second line write two adjectives joined by and to describe this noun
- On the third line write a verb and an adverb to describe this noun in action
- Start the fourth line with like or as followed by a comparison
- Start the final line with if only followed by a wish
Below is an example of such a poem (written by the Norwegian pupil Sven Grüner):
phoney and false
like a mocking bird
if only I had the key to the bird cage
Now it's your turn. Let's write poems about our mothers!
Please click on the to hear the message.